Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Tornado vs. Home

Five minutes from my home. It all happened just five minutes from my home. Many of our friends from Willowbrook were in the path of this deadly tornado on Sunday, May 25th. A large number of homes are completely gone and so is the life of a little two-year old child. What a tremendous loss. One moment life is wonderful with blue skies, and the next minute - well, gone.

I was reading up on tornadoes the other day and I found something quite interesting. Most experts suggest that when a home is crushed by a tornado, most of the damage comes from the pressure that "builds up inside of the home," causing it to implode. Most of us think that strong winds are the primary forces behind the destruction of the homes, but actually it is a combination of wind and pressure inside of the home.

Okay...Brad's putting on the pastor's hat. With this information I started thinking about the church. Often times we measure the health of the church by what comes "into" the church. But the more I thought about it, the church when it is at its healthiest, is actually a church that "implodes" and forces its way out upon the community. It's as if so much spiritual pressure is being built up inside the four walls that it forces its way out - implodes.

I'll bet you never considered a tornado having a spiritual dimension. And yes, like always, I'm probably stretching this metaphor a bit. But there is some truth in this. So, I'm asking God this question: What is the barometer reading in our church (Willowbrook)? Is enough godly pressure building up to that we will be forced out to do damage on evil forces? Or are we more than comfortable to stay within the four walls of the church? Something to think about today?