Wednesday, March 26, 2008

What Makes for a Mature Church?

As you might guess, much of my time each week is spent researching and reading about the church. I love the church. In fact, I have come to believe that "the church is the hope of the world." Because of this, I have dedicated a large portion of my life to this organism called, the church.

I came across this writing the other day by Pastor Mark Beeson that I found interesting. I'd love to get your thoughts on this below (click on, "comment" and give me your thoughts). Here it is:

Anywhere in the world, whether plant or animal, the clear delineation of maturity is the ability to reproduce. Immature animals can't reproduce. Immature plants can't replicate themselves. The definition of maturity is being fully ripe, fully aged, so the connotation of maturity is obvious. Where you see maturity you'll observe new life, babies and immaturity all over the place.

Maturity desires reproduction. Maturity tolerates juvenile behavior (from juveniles) while training its progeny for success in life. Maturity means little [babies] running all over the place.

If you attend a mature church, be prepared for immaturity. Where you find mature Christians you'll find little babes in Christ running all over the place. In fact, if you have been looking for a church where everyone tithes and everyone serves--you're not looking for a mature church, you are looking for a dying church - aged, impotent and bereft of spiritual newborns because everyone is mature.

Few things are more disturbing than a flock of adult believers standing around complaining that no one has come to Christ while refusing to do something that might result in new life. So when you bump into someone who acts immature at one of our services, don't complain, and don't be surprised. Instead, thank God the mature in Christ are busy delivering newborn babies to the family of God.


Give me your thoughts...