Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Why I love My Church

Once again I wake up this morning feeling so overwhelmed by what God is doing through His church - which I'm amazed to be leading. I get the privilege of serving alongside of some of the greatest women and men on the planet earth. Oh yes - I know that there are those challenging moments in a leader's life in which you feel like you are out in the open sea with just a undersized 9.9 Johnson motor, fighting against the crashing waves and doing your best to navigate. And of course, we all have the scars to prove it. But those scars only serve to remind me about the greatest mission on this earth and the joy set before us - the cross and His glory!

So let me tell you why I love my church.

1. When there's a need, people respond. I believe that we have a very generous church! I wish I could share with you the many emails that I receive each week from those that have had their life touched by the generosity of an individual, family, or small group. Shock and awe.

2. We have our mission right. Although every vision statement (core values as well) must be repeated over and over to keep us on task, our people get it. We are seeing more and more unchurched people getting connected each week - and I'm hearing more and more "God stories" from those rubbing shoulders with the unchurched. I'm lovin' it.

3. Commitment. It is the glue that holds. We started Willowbrook nearly nine years ago with seven staff members. After nine years, we still have the original 5 out of 7 with us. Of course, we have added others, but it speaks volumes about one's calling and to remain in the trenches through all of the ups and downs and crazy transistions. We believe in the vision and we believe in each other. In fact, I would say that our staff is tighter today than nine years ago. In a very scary way, we are starting to look like each other. Help.

4. And finally, and I know this probably doesn't sound too theological, but we just know how to laugh and have fun together! I always feel strange writing stuff like this because it tends to sound a bit cliche - ish or artificial in nature. In addition, it can also come out sounding like our church lacks depth. But that's not the case. In fact, I would argue that because the "anchor goes deep and holds," it allow us to "party" on the boat a whole lot more!

So let's keep this cruise ship going and let's set sail for the open seas, people. I love this church!