Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Just feeling Blah?

Do you ever have those moments in life in which you're just half of step off in your walk and you just can't pin-point the reason? It can lead to some real frustration. Everything seems to be going good - but there's just something missing and it is controlling you. You just can't get comfortable in your skin. We all feel this way from time to time.

Let me share with you some simple steps that I find helpful in order to identify the culprit.

1. I first start with the physical. Am I run down? Am I tired? Have I been able to sleep - at the appropriate times, which should be evening. Sometimes when we feel blah, the tendency is to start to analyze our emotions first. But I have found that the physical check up is the best place to start. I often find that if I retire to bed earlier that evening, I get much better results the following day.

2. Next, I go to the spiritual. It's funny what a few good promises from God's word can do for me when I'm feeling blah. I need to be reminded that it is okay in life -not to be okay in life. God is there for me in the good and the bad. Often times my tendency is to try and fix my wrong attitude as fast as I can and move on. But I've learned that God can often do His best work during my blah moments in life. So, what I find true in my life is that I am more prone to get into His Word more frequently on the rainy days of my life - more so than the burst of a beautiful sunrise that greets me in the morning.

3. And finally I go and lean on a friend. Proverbs has some great verses on friendship and how a friend can truly carry our burdens when we can no longer bare the weight. Moses had Aaron and Hur to lift his arms during a very challenging and personal battle in his life, as Joshua fought against the Amalekites. We all get weak from time to time and get into a funk. A true friend stands with you during such times and lifts our arms (spirits) when the tank is empty.

Well, hopefully you'll give these three a try and see what happens the next time you hit the wall. Give me a shout and let me know if it works 4 - YOU.