Thursday, March 5, 2009

Purity is the new Sexy

Okay...so now that I got your attention. There's just something about that word, "purity," isn't there? Oh wait. Could it be that "other" word that grabbed your attention? Please.

Oddly enough, last month I found myself (alone) in a mall walking through Victoria's Secret to pick up a little Valentine's gift for my bride. Without getting into a lot of details, our marriage has really improved over the past two years. Okay - end of that. You know where I am going...

After several minutes of searching and looking at the ceiling, a young female worker from the store approached me to see if she could help me make a decision on what to purchase. For some reason I felt the need to share with this young worker "that I don't do this much." Within a few more seconds I spilled the beans that I'm a pastor and that I was sent into this god-forsaken-store by my wife's order. She smiled.

And what this lady said next to me truly grabbed my attention. She said, "You know, purity is the new sexy." She went on to describe how Victoria Secret has really scaled back this past year and are now selling a much more modest line of clothing (or lack of clothing) based on consumer demand.

Well, I won't share exactly what I bought that day for my wife (don't hold your breath for a Twitter Pic), but I must say that I totally agree with this woman that purity has always been God's sexy. When I see men and women show a lack of discretion with their clothing and reveal just a bit too much of themselves, it is less than sexy and unfortunately promotes a real lack of discernment. And in many ways - may point to other self-esteem issues.

I JOHN 2:16-17: “For all that is in the world -- the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life -- is not of the Father but of the world. And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.”

So what do you think? Is purity the new sexy?