Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Twitter: know when to hold them, know when to fold them

I joined Twitter a number of months ago and I must admit, I'm loving it. I have found Twitter to be extremely helpful in connecting with individuals who hold a plethora of knowledge and wisdom in so many areas of life. I have been astonished by the openess and honesty in which people approach life. In fact, I wish my entire church would Twitter. In doing so, I think I would know a lot more about my flock in which I serve (the good and the bad). I have also been able to connect on a personal level with my wife. Twitter is a great way of simply sharing, "I love you," during a tired time of the day.

But now I have come up against a real challenge on Twitter. Who should you keep, and who needs to be removed? In the past 10 days I have removed 23 people from my Twitter list. And with each removal, I truly feel awful and a sense of remorse. In fact, I feel bad when I am removed from someone's list as well (a tear is forming).

So, what I have done is this: I have made my "HOLD THEM" and "FOLD THEM" list. Remember Kenny Rogers and the Gambler? Hey, it works for Twitter too!

WHO DO I HOLD?

1. Those who share their heart openly & authentically (good times and bad)
2. Those who approach life with their cup "half full"
3. Those who are invovled in transforming their culture
4. Those who are humble in spirit - (Micha 6:8)

WHO DO I FOLD?

1. Those who only want to sell you something (solicitors)
2. Those who love seeing themselves on Twitter (every 5 seconds)
3. Those who use Twitter as a phone conversation. Go direct, people!
4. Those who brag about their Twitter numbers (gets really old, fast)

In addition, I admire Twitter folks that are well known in our world (a bit popular) that are also following the same amount of people who follow them. In fact, I wrote to a particular gentleman who has over 4000 followers, and yet, he is following 4123. I love what he wrote back to me: "Who's not to say that each of these friends won't have something significant to contribute to my life as well?" Okay ~ that's a home run, folks! That's a guy worth following.

I hope you are loving your time on Twitter as much as I do. It's my hope that you will be dealt the perfect hand and that you will know just when to "hold them or fold them.