Sunday, November 23, 2008

Church without my Mentor

Willowbrook started a little over eight years ago with a handful of people. One of them being Gordy Sundberg. Gordy and his wife, Betty, joined us after 50 years of ministry experience. What would posses someone, after 50 years of ministry, to join us for the start of a new church plant? Well, according to Gordy - retirement was not Biblical. Gordy's final eight years was spent praying for our staff, assisting in the nursery, and folding tableclothes after each and every service. No matter rain or shine, Gordy and Betty were there - praising God for every opportunity to serve. Gordy went home to be with the Lord this past week and this Sunday (while giving my Life Talk) it seemed very odd for me to realize that my mentor would no longer be by side with encouraging words following the service.

I hope that you have a mentor in your life. Someone who takes you under their wing and breathes hope and nourishment into your journey. I will truly miss Gordy - but I know that I will see him again, in complete wholeness.